Sunday, January 2, 2011

Wind and a Warbler


I glanced at my temperature gauge, 40 degrees. I put on shorts and shirt, and walked outside and was met with a fearsome gale that didn't think it was a good idea for me to go running. I ran inside, put on some wind pants and a windbreaker, and went back outside, defiantly.
I decided it was a good idea to straight into the wind. I don't know how I come up with these brilliant ideas. The first mile went by without a single bird. After the second mile I had seen a grand total of two species. The birds were definitely smarter than me and weren't out in wild weather. Finally I saw a flock of mallards, and a bit later, a Kestrel and a Cooper's Hawk, and a few common birds. As I neared my house I decided to run one loop around my property. Running by my feeders I spotted the incontrovertible best species of the run (unless maybe compared to that House Sparrow...) a Yellow-throated Warbler that's been hanging around our feeder for the last 2 days. I have know idea why it's not way down south right now. Maybe it's decision to stay puts its intelligence on par with mine?
I ended my 7 mile run with a grand total of...wait for it, 20 species! I'll hope for better weather tomorrow.

And, Ecuador is completely legal!

1 comment: